Find Help in Brum

Are you concerned about the, rise in cost of living? Find some helpful contact details for advice and support. Birmingham City Council and partners are working to support and offer guidance to our residents during the cost-of-living crisis in the UK. We want to support as many of our residents as possible across key areas which are outlined in this Help in Brum Cost of Living leaflet.

Route2Wellbeing Birmingham

Route2wellbeing Birmingham – the definitive guide to local voluntary and community health and care services in Birmingham. Route2wellbeing makes it easy to find local services and activities that promote good health and wellbeing. You will find support for food, befriending, mental health, financial advice and much more. Visit the Route2Wellbeing website for more information.

Helping you to live well in Birmingham

An online information and advice guide, community directory and marketplace for citizens of Birmingham

For information and support available to help people in short-term crisis with food and essential items visit the Birmingham City Council website.


If you are struggling with food insecurity there is help available. The Trussell Trust support a nationwide network of food banks and provide emergency food and support to local people. You can also find a directory of Birmingham foodbanks at:

Online Parenting Course

From Birmingham with Love have pre-paid for every parent in Birmingham to access a parenting course. Just enter the access code “COMMUNITY” at the top of the page to claim. There are courses for parents, carers and grandparents of children from bump to 19 years. Learn about how your child develops, and get tips to manage their behaviour.

Parents’ guide to teaching your teen online safety

Online safety is near the top of the worry list for most parents today. More teens than ever are using social media channels on the daily, and they’re doing everything from learning to socialising, gaming to shopping. For teens, learning how to spot the risks and keep safe online is a life skill that will be helpful for years to come.

My Tutor have pulled together the top social media platforms, with the relevant online safety advice on their Parents’ Guide to teaching your teen online safety

Mental Health Support

In these difficult times we have to look after our mental health. For young people aged 11-25 there are forums, guides and counselling available at Kooth. If your child 0-25 years needs support, get in touch with Pause by calling 0207 841 4470 or email. Adults can get support from MIND by calling 0121 262 3555. Or for urgent help call Forward Thinking Birmingham on 0300 300 0099.

Financial Help

If you’ve lost your job, or are struggling for food or rent there are services that can help. Local welfare provision can make a big difference if you are in a crisis and need food, fuel or basic white goods. Discretionary Housing Payments may be able to help with rent. And there are food banks across Birmingham that are here to help.

Child Benefit

If you are responsible for a child that is under 16 or under 20 and in approved education or training, then you could claim Child Benefit.

Domestic Abuse

For women and children affected by domestic abuse please see guidance or confidentially contact Birmingham and Solihull Women’s Aid. For Men, please contact Respect.

Problems with drugs or alcohol

A new, discrete app called Staying Free is available on Android or Apple. Use the code “birmingham11” for pre-paid access. To speak to someone call Change Grow Live.

Bereavement Support

It’s a terrible time to lose a loved one — you can get help by calling 0121 687 8010 or from Cruse.

Early Help for Families

If anyone in your family needs more help, from public services or community groups, then please contact Early Help voluntary sector local leads. Early Help have ten areas which can connect you to support across the city.


If you are worried about a child, please call Birmingham’s Children’s Advice and Support Service on 0121 303 1888. In an emergency, including child abuse, contact the Police on 999. You can also chat to the Police.